PLACES OF INTEREST / In Alksnynė

Meškadaubė

The names of Meškadaubė (Bear Hollow) and Meškos galvos kalva (Bear's Head Hill) appeared only in the last decade of the 19th century. The locals named this hollow and hill in such a way because the latter look like a bear's head.

Dune reinforcement works were launched in the vicinity of Meškadaubė in 1810. The first barracks for dune handling workers were built here and the settlement was called Meškadaubė in 1832. At the early 20th century after conclusion of afforestation works 21 person was still living in these barracks. The settlement deteriorated during the inter-war period.

Monument for Red Army Soldiers

 The monument is devoted to Red Army soldiers (113rd rifle regiment of 32nd division) who died in this place in January 1945. Soviet landing forces were caught in an ambush near Alksnynė. Germans opened fire on the reinforcing troops coming through the ice. The ice started cracking and some of troops drowned. Authors of Monument: architect P. Šadauskas, sculptor J. Vertulis. They applied a 30 ton of stone extracted from the bottom of the Lagoon. This Memorial was opened in 1967.

Love Valley

Driving the main road, next to it one can notice a small forest site - Love Valley. In the 19th century the labor wooden barracks were situated here. Labor force was engaged in the protective dune ridge formation and landscaping. After Franco-Prussian War as of 1870 1872, Frenchmen war prisoners, involved in dune reinforcement and afforestation works, were placed in the wooden barracks. Later on, the barracks were inhabited by female workers from the continent. The place got such a name due to easy virtue of women. The Kingdom of Prussia and the States of Germany were unified after this war. 


Events calendar
FAQ
7. Where can we get banking services in Curonian spit?

Automated Teller Machines in Curonian spit


Friends