PLACES OF INTEREST / In Juodkrantė and surrounding areas

Cognitive Dendrologic Path

The major massif of vegetated (ancient forest) parabolic dunes grown with hundred-year pine trees and spruces can be seen in Juodkrantė. It is hard to believe that a real forest could be found in the sands.

A cognitive dendrologic path will help to familiarize with the ancient forest landscape, trees and bushes. The trail starts at the parking lot near Amber Bay and ends at the settlement cemetery. Total length - 1600 m. 16 stops are on the path where you will find stands with flora descriptions, pictures and photos. Benches are installed in the most spectacular places to have a rest and enjoy the sounds of nature.

Place of Linden Tree of Sins

On your way through the cognitive dendrologic path you will reach the place of Griekinė liepa (Linden Tree of Sins). Deciduous woods, forests were growing in this area in the 16th - mid 19th century. A very old branchy linden was growing here. Lots of stories were told about this tree. One of the stories was about bringing to the community court the young people who had committed a sin. Other stories told about sacrificing to the old gods. The tree was cut down by German soldiers in 1939. A newly planted linden is growing here now. There is an impressive Griekų ravine (Ravine of Sins) next to it.  

Amber Bay

In 1855, 1860 and 1861 during the waterway deepening works some amber was excavated. Businessmen W. Stantien and M. Becker showed their interest in amber excavation. Their company W. Stantien & M. Beckerwas granted with the exclusive rights for amber mining. The company committed to carry out the waterway handling works. The company activities promoted the development of the resort: arranged the port for sand dredgers (Amber bay), allocated funds to the church, steamboat quay, a pipe organ presented to a new church of Juodkrantė. An ornamented administration building of the company was erected in the central part of Juodkrantė. About 23 sand dredgers were operated in Amber Bay at a time. A part of residents could receive additional earnings from such jobs. The company built wooden barracks to the hired workers from the continent. Mainly Lithuanians were involved in work here. In 1860-1890, the average amber excavations totaled to approx. 75 000 kg/year. The company activities in Juodkrantė were finished in 1890. The people who had been working in amber business abandoned the settlement.

A collection of unique amber articles from the Neolithic and Early Bronze ages was discovered at the bottom of the lagoon during the arrangement works of the port of Amber Bay. This collection was named the amber treasure of Juodkrantė. The accessories, amulets, figurines of humans and animals do reflect the outlook of ancient inhabitants of the Curonian Spit. Most of the articles found near Juodkrantė were housed in the Geology and Paleontology Section of the Museum of Albert University in Königsberg. In the autumn of 1944, a few amber items, including some of the articles found near Juodkrantė, were packed into boxes and transported by horse-drawn carriage to Göttingen University. However, the major part of this treasure remained hidden in Königsberg storages or just were destroyed during the Second World War attacks.

Monument to L. Rėza and L. Rėza Cultural Center

The monument by the sculptor A. Sakalauskas to Liudvikas Martynas Rėza (17791840), the professor of Königsberg University, poet, folklore collector, publisher of K. Donelaitis Metaias well as the tales, was opened in 1994.

On 22 January 2007 Juodkrantė exhibition house and Juodkrantė cultural house were merged and rearranged into the cultural center named after Liudvikas Rėza. On 10 May 2008 the L. Rėza Cultural and Art Award was established by Neringa Municipality Council.

Liudvikas Rėza Cultural Center consists of two exhibition halls, concert hall and outdoor stage. The exhibitions of history, contemporary and fine arts of Lithuanian and foreign artists are held in the Center.  Various cultural events are arranged: traditional festivals, public holiday ceremonies, concerts, meetings, lectures, conferences, educational events for children and juvenile, cultural and educational projects.

 Opening hours:

IX.1 - V.31 ■□□□□□■ 10.00-18.00

VI.01 - VIII.30 □□□□□□ 10.00-18.00

 

L. Rėzos g. 8, LT-93101, Juodkrantė

Tel./fax.(8 469) 53 448

E-mail: kultura@lrezoskc.lt , www.lrezoskc.lt

Onshore Stone Sculpture Park

31 stone sculptures were created and erected during the International Sculpture Symposium Žemė ir vanduo (Earth and Water) that took place in 19971999. The works of artists from Lithuania, Great Britain, Sweden and other countries. The sculptures are arranged in the 800 m. long section of the lagoon shore along L. Rėzos Street.

Exposition of Wooden Sculptures on the Hill of Witches

42 meters high the Hill of Witches (formerly of Jonas and Ieva) commemorates the celebration of the Feast of St. John since long ago. The choir members and musicians were coming by sailing-boats and steamships from Tilžė, Rusnė, and Klaipėda across the Curonian Lagoon, and having the party of the shortest night of the year as well as searching for the fern flower.

The Lithuanian folk artists and woodsmen had been coming to Juodkrantė during the summer season of 19791981 and created over 70 sculptures. The exposition of these sculptures was arranged according to the project of the sculptor S. Šarapovas and the architect A. Nasvytis and acquired the name of the Hill of Witchesamong the inhabitants and visitors of the Spit.

We can identify the heroes from the Lithuanian folk tales and legends in the wooden carvings. There are particularly many witches and devils on the hill.  The swings and climbing gears are placed at the foot of the hill to the delight of the children.

Museum of Miniature Arts and Exhibition Hall of Lithuanian Art Museum


In 2007 Lithuanian Art Museum restored the exposition of Museum of Miniature Arts that had been open throughout 19761989 in Juodkrantė Evangelic Lutheran Church.

Over 300 pieces of art are presented in the exposition. There are miniature painted portraits, historical medals, fans created by the masters of Paris, St. Petersburg, and Prague (16th 20th centuries), copper engravings, which depict costumes from the late 17th century early 19th century

The exposition also presents small paintings, boxes, and wallets created by the art of sewing colored glass bead, tiny porcelain and faience sculptures, vases, plates and cups.

The significant part of the exhibition includes the miniatures of the selfeducated artist Lida Meškaitytė, which convey the subtle images of artist's homeland (farmstead, landscape).

The exhibition hall of Lithuanian Art Museum was established in 1982. The exhibitions of Lithuanian and foreign artists are held in this hall during the summer season.

 

Opening hours:

Months VI-VIII

L.Rėzos g. 13, LT-93101, Juodkrantė

Tel.: (8 463) 315110

Weathervane Gallery


In 1844 a specific marking system - weathervanes - was introduced to facilitate the fishing control in the Curonian Lagoon. Each fisherman had to install this sign of recognition on a masthead of kurėnas (Kurenkahn). It consisted of tin shield painted in black and white color. Later on, red and white color flag as well as carved ornaments were added to a weathervane. The ornaments symbolized the living environment, celestial bodies, and tools. Based on a weathervane it was possible to identify the particular village a sailboat belonged to.

The history, development and items of weathervanes are presented at Daiva and Remigijus Žadeikis Weathervane Gallery in Juodkrantė. The gallery contains touristic literature, original ceramics, textile, and fine art pieces.

 

Opening hours (admission charged):

Months VI-VIII □□□□□□□ 9.00-19.00

L.Rėzos g. 13, LT-93101, Juodkrantė

Tel.: (8 463) 315110

E-mail:  info@autentic.lt  www.autentic.lt

Juodkrantė Church

Juodkrantė Evangelic Lutheran Church was built in 18841885 by the initiative of Juodkrantė preacher O. E. Richter. After World War II the church was turned into a warehouse. It was restored in the seventies, windows were decorated with stained glass. For some time it was used by the Miniatures Museum. In 1989 the building was given back to the church.




Heron and Cormorant Colony at Juodkrantė

Near Juodkrantė there is the biggest and the oldest colony of grey herons and great cormorants known in Lithuania. Humans have been monitoring this colony even from the late 19th century. Currently there are over 3 thousand great cormorant nests and 235 grey heron nests scattered on the sides of the colony. The first cormorants usually appear in the Curonian Spit in the first part of February, and grey herons return afterwards.

At the end of March the colony becomes so vivid. The birds share and maintain the old nests and build new ones. The bird couples start hatching. Herons and cormorant feed on fish. Herons with their long legs wade in the lagoon waiting for the fish, and cormorants catch the fish by diving. In autumn the colony gets empty and silent till the next season.

There is an observation site installed at the side of the colony. This is one of the biggest bird colonies in the Europe, and the biggest and oldest nesting place of such birds in Lithuania





Juodkrantė Architectural Heritage District of Villas

In 1860 - 1865, the quarter of villas got formed between the cemetery and quay in Juodkrantė. There were two big hotels, many private villas and boarding houses.  Villa Monbijou(now - Juodkrantė Subdistrict) has survived up to present day, the history of which after WW II was interpreted as Göring Villa. The main flow of holidaymakers used to stay at Kurische hofand Sturmhoefel(later Hotel May) hotels. Florawas the very first name of SturmhoefelVilla.

Observation Site at Avikalnis Hill

The observation site arranged on the top of Avikalnis Hill opens the view of blown sand plane of Avikalnis Horn and one of the most picturesque panorama of the Curonian Spit: valley, Grey (Dead) Dunes in Nagliai Nature Reserve, fragments of Juodkrante ancient forest.  There is the southern part of parabolic dune complex, the old arboreta of common pines (ancient forest fragments) over 230 year’s old. Avikalnis Hill is located in the territory of Heron Hill Landscape Reserve. The easiest way to reach Avikalnis Hill is by vehicle from Klaipėda side at the 23rd kilometer of Klaipėda Nida road, at the right side.


 


Events calendar
FAQ
1. Is there any rules for visiting the Kursiu nerija national park?

Take the attention when visiting Kuršių nerija national park


Friends