PLACES OF INTEREST / In Nida and surrounding areas

Bulvikis Cape

Bulvikis Cape is the widest spot of the Curonian peninsula of 3,8 km wide. It is believed that name of the cape and the neighboring lagoon originates from the Curonian surname Bulvikis. There is one more explanation of the origin: in Swedish language boljameans a wave and vikmeans a bay, so the name might be originated from Sweden.

Before the great dunes were planted with forest, the Bulvikis Cape has been extremely growing: in 18371910 it would annually become longer by 7 m. in average. Now we observe the reverse process the cape is being washed by the stream and it gets smaller and smaller without cease.

A splendid panorama of the coast of the Curonian Lagoon and the Ventė Cape opens from the Bulvikis Cape and the Lagoon. Given a good visibility, the other coast of the Curonian Lagoon seems to be very close, however, this impression is illusory: the width of the Lagoon between the Bulvikis Cape and Ventė Cape is more than 8 km, and the depth approximately 3 m.

Thomas Mann Cultural Center, Museum


In 19291930, the family of Thomas Mann, German writer Nobel Prize Winner, built a cottage on the Mother-in-Law Hill in the northern part of Nida (Skruzdynės g.), and they used to spend their summers during the period from 1930 to 1932. Here T. Mann was writing his novel Joseph and His BrothersAfter the World War II the building was standing abandoned for a while. In 1967, a reading-room and the memorial exposition of the writer were opened in this house. In 19951996, the summerhouse was restored, financed by the Lithuanian and German Governments, and in 1996, the memorial museum was opened there, later the non-profit organization Thomas Mann Cultural Center.

Classical music concerts, cultural evenings take place here during the summertime. International T. Mann Festival is annually organized by the Cultural Center.

 

Opening hours:

Months V.15 – IX.15 □□□□□□□ 10.00-18.00
                Month   IX.16 - 30 □□□□□□□ 10.00-17.00
                Month   X.1 – V.14, ■□□□□□■ 10.00-17.00

 

Skruzdynės g. 17, LT-93123, Nida

Tel./Fax: (8 469) 52 260

E-mail info@neringosmuziejai.lt  www.neringosmuziejai.lt

Monument to G.D. Kuwertas

David Gottlieb Kuwertas with his son Georg were buried in the old cemetery of foresters in Nida. People of the town immortalized father and son struggle with the sand by funding the arrangement of monument on their grave.



Neringa History Museum

The exposition of Neringa History Museum presents the crafts of Curonian Spit inhabitants, fishing tools, models of "kurėnas" (national type of boat), "kiudelvatis" (barrel shape boat), dragnet and wind mast boats, smelt destroyer and hunting crows, findings at Nida Neolithic settlement, history of Nida Post Station. The emphasis of this exposition is the license of Nida Post Station owner F. C. Kuwert, providing the right to produce beer at the post station pub, the copy (year 1785) and photo replications and maps reflecting specific character of life of post roads and post stations of European significance. The other stands will show the colors of resort life of Nida in the 19th - early 20th centuries, everyday life of the residents and the history of old Froese family in Nida which has been of exclusive status for several centuries.

 Opening hours:

Months V.15 - IX.30□□□□□□□10.00-18.00
           
Months IX.1 - XII.21 ■□□□□□■ 10.00-17.00
           
Months XII.22  -III.31 □□□□□■■ 10.00-17.00
           
Months IV.1 - V.31 ■□□□□□■ 10.00-17.00

 

Pamario g. 53, LT-93124, Nida

Tel.: (8 469) 51162, (8 469) 52260

E-mail: info@neringosmuziejai.lt www.neringosmuziejai.lt

Fishermans Ethnographic Homestead

A homestead that had suffered from ice foes was handed over to Neringa History Museum in 1974. A fisherman's homestead of the late 19th - early 20th century was arranged here. It consists of two buildings: residential house and farm building. Authentic furniture is placed in a kitchen and three rooms of the residential house. One must be amazed by ornamented chairs, bedroom furniture or dowry chest. Walls of the room are decorated with bride coronets and silver wedding crowns.

The exposition introduces fishermen domestic life to a visitor. The original fishing boats lie near the farmstead - from simple ones to the traditional dragnet boat, which is called "Kurėnas"

Exhibitions associated with the Curonian Spit, historical photos, postcards, folk art are held in this homestead.

 Opening hours (admission charged):

Months VI-XIII□□□□□□□10.00-18.00
           
Months IX - V ■□□□□□■ 10.00-17.00

 Naglių g. 4. LT 93123, Nida

Tel./Fax: (8 469) 52372

E-mail: info@neringosmuziejai.lt  www.neringosmuziejai.lt



Hermann Blode Museum

Hermann Blode Hotel, called the ArtistsHouse, was built in the eastern part of Nida fishermen settlement, in Skruzdynė, in 1867 L. Passarge (1825 -1912), a poet, journalist, translator of K. Donelaitis works into German language, visited the hotel in 1868. German romantic composer E. Humperdinck lived here in the late 19th century. German writer T. Mann stayed in the hotel in 1929. Poet W. Heymann (1888 1914) used to visit the hotel very often. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries the hotel turned to be the main axis of Nida Art Colony. Famous German painters, such as L. Corinth, E. Bischopp Culm, H. Beppo Broschke, M. Pechstein and others, lived and worked here. After the owner's death the hotel traditions were continued by his son-in-law E. Mollenhauer (1892 1955). The only hotel museum (now it is the hotel Nidos Smiltė) in Neringa is functioning here.

 Opening hours:

Months V - X □□□□□□□ 09.00-19.00

 Skruzdynės g. 2, LT-93123, Nida

Tel. (8 469) 52 219

Amber Gallery - Museum

The museum was established in an old fisherman's house in 1993. In this museum one can learn about the formation, morphology, color, extraction, medical application of Baltic amber, and view an impressive collection of inclusions. The Gallery is constantly replenished with the artwork expositions of famous Lithuanian artists. There is an outdoor exposition with an old amber processing workshop. Accessories of modern design, unique amber pieces, and inclusions are available for purchase. Purchased goods are supported with a high quality Baltic amber certificate.

 Opening hours:

Months VI-VIII □□□□□□□ 09.00-20.00

Months IV- V and IX- X □□□□□□□10.00-19.00

 

Pamario g. 20, LT-5872 Nida

Tel.: (8-469) 52052

E-mail: info@ambergallery.lt www.ambergallery.lt 

Nida's Evangelical Lutheran Church

Nida's Evangelical Lutheran Church was built in 1888. After the Second World War the church was transformed into a museum of Neringa History. This building of Neo-Gothic style was returned to Evangelical-Lutheran community in 1989. Nowadays the worship services, summer classical music concerts take place in Nida church.

Ethnographic Cemetery


The wooden tomb monuments of unique shape, typical for the Curonian Spit, called christenings (krikštai) are situated in the old cemetery of the first half of 19-20 centuries close to Nida Evangelic Lutheran Church. The origin of christenings reaches paganism times. They were made of timber and located at the foot of the deceased. Timber type and decoration depended on gender and age of the deceased person. Male christenings featured carved horse heads, motives of plants and birds, while female - plants and hearts along with birds.

The V. Kernagis Memorial Sculpture
In 2009 a bronze sculpture as a memorial to Vytautas Kernagis, a songwriter and sung poetry performer, sung poetry initiator in Lithuania, and showman, was opened at the lagoon shore in Nida. Author-sculptor Romas Kvintas.

In 2010 a new cultural space - Bards' Square - was arranged next to the V. Kernagis sculpture with a view of spreading his artistic heritage and initiating the interest in a sung poetry. Live concerts, poetry readings take place here during the season.  

Urbas Hill and Nida Lighthouse

The Hill of Urbas is a geomorphological reserve of 52,56 ha area. Its name originated from a word "urbti" - i.e. drilla pit in a sand for planting. This is one of the first dunes planted by the locals. Planting works started in 1874. At the same period the construction of Nida lighthouse was initiated by the government of Königsberg.

The old lighthouse (altitude - 27m.) was hexagonal, the cobble-stone path of 200 steps led to the lighthouse. These steps have still remained. A sharper eye will notice a carved swastika on one of the steps.

During the World War II it was exploded, restored in 1953, and later reconstructed. The present lighthouse is a 29,3m high ferro-concrete tower. It sends white flashlight signals that are visible 41 km far (22 sea miles) in the sea. The crystal glass lens was manufactured in Charkov District (Ukraine). Before it was installed in the lighthouse, the lens had been awarded at the exhibition in France. The lighthouse is equipped with 6 bulbs, however the only one is used at a time. If the bulb burns out, another one turns on automatically. The lighthouse has an autonomic power station.

Parnidis Cognitive Path


A 1,8km nature trail starts at the foot of Parnidis Dune in the Silence Valley. Here you will see wonderful plants, lichen, fungi, insects, and birds, admire the magnificent landscapes, visit the smithyof a woodpecker, and familiarize with the "biography" of a tree. Children will have fun in a wellness path.

Parnidis Dune and Sundial


An observation point is arranged on the top of Parnidis Dune. This is one of the most popular places of tourist attraction around Nida. A sundial was installed here in 1995. Original idea by an architect R. Krištapavičius, sculptor - K. Pūdymas, astronomical calculations by R. Klimka. This particular area was not randomly selected - Curonian Spit is the only place in Lithuania where the sunset and sunrise occurs from water surface.

The height of a gnomon (pin) has been 12 m. (2 m. underground) before the arrival of a hurricane Anatol as of 4 December 1999.  The gnomon is decorated with the symbols of calendar holidays that were copied from the runic calendars of the 17th century. The Sundial after reconstruction was introduced to the community in 2011. Three decorative sculptures - "Winter Solstice", "Spring Equinox" and "Autumnal Equinox" - were added to the entire complex. The author of Sundial - Ričardas Krištopavičius. All the visitors of Parnidis Dune may enjoy the view from the newly arrange observation site.

Death Valley

In 1870 1872, a war prisoner camp for Frenchmen was established in this valley.  Many war prisoners died of severe detention conditions, exhaustion and diseases. The deceased were buried right here in the camp cemetery. Germans "requited" Frenchmen for detention conditions in the Sahara Desert. Therefore, the locals named this place after the Death Valley.

Monument for Glider-pilots

There is a place in Parnidis Landscape Reserve where the first gliding school - main summer camp of Lithuanian glider pilots - was established in 1933. The school existed till 1939 when Klaipeda Region was occupied by Germany. German military pilots had gliding trainings here in 1939 1943. There is just a foundation structure of the school building remained, and the neighboring airport got grown with trees. A symbolic hangar arc and monument stone was built in 1979 to commemorate the gliding school.

 


Events calendar
FAQ
6. Where can we order excursion in Kursiu nerija national park?

You can order guides in Visitors centres. Service charges provided by national park administration


Friends