PLACES OF INTEREST / In Pervalka

Žirgų Rago (Horse Cape) Lighthouse

The lighthouse was built in 1900 in the Curonian Lagoon at Pervalka, behind Agila Bay, in front of Horse Cape of Biržtvynas Shell. The lighthouse was rebuilt twice. Currently is operating. This is the only lighthouse in the Curonian Spit which is installed offshore in the lagoon on the small artificial island. It can be reached by boat and seen from the Curonian Spit coast.



Monument to L.G.Rėza and Sandbound Karvaičiai Village

Karvaičiai Hill is situated near Pervalka - preserving one of the most tragic story of sand buried villages of the Curonian Spit. Until 1797, instead of the hill there was Karvaičiai village, the residents of which, retreating from the sand, were forced to move from one place to another several times. However, the new place on the shore of Karvaičiai Bay was of no salvage.  After a long and unsuccessful fight with the sand, after Karvaičiai church was buried under the sand, the people abandoned the village.  Some of them moved to the southern outskirts of Juodkrantė, some to Nida and Nagliai (Agila).

Karvaičiai village is the homeland of one of the most famous folklorists and poets of the beginning of the 19th century, professor of Königsberg University Liudvikas MartynasRėza (17761840). He was the first to publish "Metai" (Year) by K. Donelaitis in1818, later the tales, in 1825 he published the first collection of the Lithuanian folk songs Dainos(Songs). The monument to L. G. Rėza by the folk artist E. Jonušas waserected in 1979 on the Skirpstas Dune near Pervalka. The lines from L. Rėza's poem "Drowned Village" are inscribed in the oak monument.


Events calendar
FAQ
7. Where can we get banking services in Curonian spit?

Automated Teller Machines in Curonian spit


Friends