PLACES OF INTEREST / Monuments of Culture

Ethnographic Fishermans Farmstead Complex (in Smiltynė)

The farmsteads of seaside fishermen living in the area of Šventoji and Palanga, built in the 19th or early 20th century, served as the prototype for the ethnographic farmstead. The homestead consists of a living house, cattle-shed, granary, bathhouse, cellar, fish smokehouse. An interior design of the early 20th century is restored in the living house.

There is an exposition available about fishery in Lithuanian sea and littoral area at the 19th and early 20th centuries: photos, ship construction instruments, models and elements of sailboats, fishing tools such as hooks, trotlines, weight lead, gaffs, nets.

Opening hours:             

Months V, IX ■■■□□□□ 10.30-17.00

Months VI - VIII ■■□□□□□ 10.30-18.30



Ship-Veterans Exposition (in Smiltynė)

The largest Lithuanian Sea Museum's exhibits are displayed in a ship-veteran yard.

Medium fishing trawler Dubingiaiwas built in Klaipeda shipyard and designed for fishing in the Atlantic Ocean (weight approx. 300 tons). The ship's hold is rearranged into an exhibition hall. In the summer there is a permanent 18-19 century engravings exposition.

Two of the ships are handed over to the museum by Neringa fishery farm. Built in 1949 motor dory represents the ship type that replaced old sailing boats kurėnai (Kurenkahn) for Curonian Lagoon fishermen. The same year built in Finland small fishery trawler Kolymaserved 30 years for Klaipėda fishermen in the Baltic Sea. Steel tralbot (PTB - 7167) was brought from Germany in 1954. In 2001 Kurenkahn SüD.1was built. The same sailboats were used for fishing in the Curonian Lagoon until 1950's.

 

 

Opening hours:             

Months V, IX ■■■□□□□ 10.30-17.00

Months VI - VIII ■■□□□□□ 10.30-18.30

Monument for the Curonian Spit Planting Leader L. Hagen (in Smiltynė)

A monument dedicated to one of the northern Curonian Spit planters, L.Hagen, was built on the Hagens Dune during the interwar period. In the 19th century, he described, tested and developed the formation technique of dune ridge. On the modest Obelisk in German and Lithuanian languages is written: In memoriam of Ludwig Hagen.

The Kopgalis Cemetery (in Smiltynė)

The residents of Smiltynė, Kopgalis were buried in the Kopgalis Cemetery in the 19th - early 20th centuries. There are graves of Liudas Stulpinas (1871 - 1934), the first Lithuanian Sea Captain, and Jonas ŽiliusJonila (1870 - 1932), a writer, public figure and the governor of Klaipėda Region.

Place of Linden Tree of Sins (in Juodkrantė)

On your way through the cognitive dendrologic path you will reach the place of Griekinė liepa (Linden Tree of Sins). Deciduous woods, forests were growing in this area in the 16th - mid 19th century. A very old branchy linden was growing here. Lots of stories were told about this tree. One of the stories was about bringing to the community court the young people who had committed a sin. Other stories told about sacrificing to the old gods. The tree was cut down by German soldiers in 1939. A newly planted linden is growing here now. There is an impressive Griekų ravine (Ravine of Sins) next to it.  

Exposition of Wooden Sculptures on the Hill of Witches (in Juodkrantė)

42 meters high the Hill of Witches (formerly of Jonas and Ieva) commemorates the celebration of the Feast of St. John since long ago. The choir members and musicians were coming by sailing-boats and steamships from Tilžė, Rusnė, and Klaipėda across the Curonian Lagoon, and having the party of the shortest night of the year as well as searching for the fern flower.

The Lithuanian folk artists and woodsmen had been coming to Juodkrantė during the summer season of 19791981 and created over 70 sculptures. The exposition of these sculptures was arranged according to the project of the sculptor S. Šarapovas and the architect A. Nasvytis and acquired the name of the Hill of Witchesamong the inhabitants and visitors of the Spit.

We can identify the heroes from the Lithuanian folk tales and legends in the wooden carvings. There are particularly many witches and devils on the hill.  The swings and climbing gears are placed at the foot of the hill to the delight of the children.

Amber Bay (in Juodkrantė)

In 1855, 1860 and 1861 during the waterway deepening works some amber was excavated. Businessmen W. Stantien and M. Becker showed their interest in amber excavation. Their company W. Stantien & M. Beckerwas granted with the exclusive rights for amber mining. The company committed to carry out the waterway handling works. The company activities promoted the development of the resort: arranged the port for sand dredgers (Amber bay), allocated funds to the church, steamboat quay, a pipe organ presented to a new church of Juodkrantė. An ornamented administration building of the company was erected in the central part of Juodkrantė. About 23 sand dredgers were operated in Amber Bay at a time. A part of residents could receive additional earnings from such jobs. The company built wooden barracks to the hired workers from the continent. Mainly Lithuanians were involved in work here. In 1860-1890, the average amber excavations totaled to approx. 75 000 kg/year. The company activities in Juodkrantė were finished in 1890. The people who had been working in amber business abandoned the settlement.

A collection of unique amber articles from the Neolithic and Early Bronze ages was discovered at the bottom of the lagoon during the arrangement works of the port of Amber Bay. This collection was named the amber treasure of Juodkrantė. The accessories, amulets, figurines of humans and animals do reflect the outlook of ancient inhabitants of the Curonian Spit. Most of the articles found near Juodkrantė were housed in the Geology and Paleontology Section of the Museum of Albert University in Königsberg. In the autumn of 1944, a few amber items, including some of the articles found near Juodkrantė, were packed into boxes and transported by horse-drawn carriage to Göttingen University. However, the major part of this treasure remained hidden in Königsberg storages or just were destroyed during the Second World War attacks.

Juodkrantė Architectural Heritage District of Villas

In 1860 - 1865, the quarter of villas got formed between the cemetery and quay in Juodkrantė. There were two big hotels, many private villas and boarding houses.  Villa Monbijou(now - Juodkrantė Subdistrict) has survived up to present day, the history of which after WW II was interpreted as Göring Villa. The main flow of holidaymakers used to stay at Kurische hofand Sturmhoefel(later Hotel May) hotels. Florawas the very first name of SturmhoefelVilla.

Monument to L. Rėza (in Juodkrantė)

The monument by the sculptor A. Sakalauskas to Liudvikas Martynas Rėza (17791840), the professor of Königsberg University, poet, folklore collector, publisher of K. Donelaitis Metaias well as the tales, was opened in 1994.

Onshore Stone Sculpture Park (in Juodkrantė)

31 stone sculptures were created and erected during the International Sculpture Symposium Žemė ir vanduo (Earth and Water) that took place in 19971999. The works of artists from Lithuania, Great Britain, Sweden and other countries. The sculptures are arranged in the 800 m. long section of the lagoon shore along L. Rėzos Street.

Juodkrantė Church

Juodkrantė Evangelic Lutheran Church was built in 18841885 by the initiative of Juodkrantė preacher O. E. Richter. After World War II the church was turned into a warehouse. It was restored in the seventies, windows were decorated with stained glass. For some time it was used by the Miniatures Museum. In 1989 the building was given back to the church.


Žirgų Rago (Horse Cape) Lighthouse (in Pervalka)

The lighthouse was built in 1900 in the Curonian Lagoon at Pervalka, behind Agila Bay, in front of Horse Cape of Biržtvynas Shell. The lighthouse was rebuilt twice. Currently is operating. This is the only lighthouse in the Curonian Spit which is installed offshore in the lagoon on the small artificial island. It can be reached by boat and seen from the Curonian Spit coast.



Monument to L.G.Rėza and Sandbound Karvaičiai Village (near Pervalka)

Karvaičiai Hill is situated near Pervalka - preserving one of the most tragic story of sand buried villages of the Curonian Spit. Until 1797, instead of the hill there was Karvaičiai village, the residents of which, retreating from the sand, were forced to move from one place to another several times. However, the new place on the shore of Karvaičiai Bay was of no salvage.  After a long and unsuccessful fight with the sand, after Karvaičiai church was buried under the sand, the people abandoned the village.  Some of them moved to the southern outskirts of Juodkrantė, some to Nida and Nagliai (Agila).

Karvaičiai village is the homeland of one of the most famous folklorists and poets of the beginning of the 19th century, professor of Königsberg University Liudvikas MartynasRėza (17761840). He was the first to publish "Metai" (Year) by K. Donelaitis in1818, later the tales, in 1825 he published the first collection of the Lithuanian folk songs Dainos(Songs). The monument to L. G. Rėza by the folk artist E. Jonušas waserected in 1979 on the Skirpstas Dune near Pervalka. The lines from L. Rėza's poem "Drowned Village" are inscribed in the oak monument.

Monument to G.D. Kuwertas (in Nida)

David Gottlieb Kuwertas with his son Georg were buried in the old cemetery of foresters in Nida. People of the town immortalized father and son struggle with the sand by funding the arrangement of monument on their grave.

Nida's Evangelical Lutheran Church

Nida's Evangelical Lutheran Church was built in 1888. After the Second World War the church was transformed into a museum of Neringa History. This building of Neo-Gothic style was returned to Evangelical-Lutheran community in 1989. Nowadays the worship services, summer classical music concerts take place in Nida church.

Ethnographic Cemetery

The wooden tomb monuments of unique shape, typical for the Curonian Spit, called christenings (krikštai) are situated in the old cemetery of the first half of 19-20 centuries close to Nida Evangelic Lutheran Church. The origin of christenings reaches paganism times. They were made of timber and located at the foot of the deceased. Timber type and decoration depended on gender and age of the deceased person. Male christenings featured carved horse heads, motives of plants and birds, while female - plants and hearts along with birds.

The V. Kernagis Memorial Sculpture (in Nida)

In 2009 a bronze sculpture as a memorial to Vytautas Kernagis, a songwriter and sung poetry performer, sung poetry initiator in Lithuania, and showman, was opened at the lagoon shore in Nida. Author-sculptor Romas Kvintas.

In 2010 a new cultural space - Bards' Square - was arranged next to the V. Kernagis sculpture with a view of spreading his artistic heritage and initiating the interest in a sung poetry. Live concerts, poetry readings take place here during the season.  

Urbas Hill and Nida Lighthouse (in Nida)

The Hill of Urbas is a geomorphological reserve of 52,56 ha area. Its name originated from a word "urbti" - i.e. drilla pit in a sand for planting. This is one of the first dunes planted by the locals. Planting works started in 1874. At the same period the construction of Nida lighthouse was initiated by the government of Königsberg.

The old lighthouse (altitude - 27m.) was hexagonal, the cobble-stone path of 200 steps led to the lighthouse. These steps have still remained. A sharper eye will notice a carved swastika on one of the steps.

During the World War II it was exploded, restored in 1953, and later reconstructed. The present lighthouse is a 29,3m high ferro-concrete tower. It sends white flashlight signals that are visible 41 km far (22 sea miles) in the sea. The crystal glass lens was manufactured in Charkov District (Ukraine). Before it was installed in the lighthouse, the lens had been awarded at the exhibition in France. The lighthouse is equipped with 6 bulbs, however the only one is used at a time. If the bulb burns out, another one turns on automatically. The lighthouse has an autonomic power station.

Death Valley (in Nida)

In 1870 1872, a war prisoner camp for Frenchmen was established in this valley.  Many war prisoners died of severe detention conditions, exhaustion and diseases. The deceased were buried right here in the camp cemetery. Germans "requited" Frenchmen for detention conditions in the Sahara Desert. Therefore, the locals named this place after the Death Valley.

Monument for Glider-pilots

There is a place in Parnidis Landscape Reserve where the first gliding school - main summer camp of Lithuanian glider pilots - was established in 1933. The school existed till 1939 when Klaipeda Region was occupied by Germany. German military pilots had gliding trainings here in 1939 1943. There is just a foundation structure of the school building remained, and the neighboring airport got grown with trees. A symbolic hangar arc and monument stone was built in 1979 to commemorate the gliding school.

 


Events calendar
FAQ
3. Do we have to pay for the entrance to the Kursiu nerija national park?

You only have to pay fixed fee in Alksnynes post by Neringa municipality


Friends